An active item is an item that, when placed in a private space, has some sort of interactive functionality. Examples are:
- Pool table: The player may play a game of pool with the item.
- Music box: The item will play music once turned on.
- Pet dog: A dog will run around inside of an enclosure.
While most items that have interaction capability are active items, there are exceptions:
- Lights are not active items even though the player may turn them on and off.
- Picture frames are not active items even though the player may change the picture in the frame.
It is important to note which items are active items because there is a limit on how many may be placed in a private space. Usually, the limit is two active items (with a 40-item limit total).